Friday, February 2, 2018

Ground Hog’s Day





Today is February 2nd which means that it is Ground Hog’s Day here in the USA anyway. For some it is a big day while others don’t care a whole lot.

What it all means is whether we have six more weeks of winter or not. If the ground hog sees his shadow that means there will be six more weeks of winter. It is what happened this year and when he doesn’t see his shadow than spring comes early.

Here in the Pacific Northwest the weather has been pretty mild. We did have it cold in early November when we had a little snow as well in the cities. Since then it has been temperatures primarily in the forties and hitting into the fifties.

The mountains have had a good amount of snow especially in January. I heard that Mt. Baker which is near Bellingham and the Canadian border had nineteen feet of snow in January. It didn’t hit the record however were quite close and a good year for those who go skiing.

Ground Hog’s Day has another meaning to my family and I. Today is my father’s birthday. I remember when I was young and first heard that today was his birthday my brothers and I laughed. We thought it was funny that he was born on this day. Dad has been gone since 1993 so it will celebrate twenty-five years since he passed away. We miss you every single day pops and we salute you this day. Happy birthday Dad you were the very best.  Though we didn’t have all the same interests you still took the time to take me to ball games and you coached my little league team for a year. Many of the guys still think of you as our best coach. This is something I will never forget.

So everyone enjoy today and the next six weeks of winter where it is happening in the world anyway. I just hope we do get more snow here even if it is just a little. Have a great month and weekend. Oh yes I hope that we can see the sun sometime during the next six weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment