Saturday, February 3, 2018

Hiking in the Olympic Mountains


                                                                Lena Lake WA


                                                         Enchanted Valley Chalet



I have memories from my teenage years hiking primarily in the Olympic Mountains while being a boy scout.

My first hike I remember going to lower Lena near Lilliwaup Washington. Yes I know a strange name for a place. It is a beautiful spot on Lena Lake. It is a great way to spend a three-day holiday weekend. The trail is just under seven miles long however it is uphill most of the way. At least that is what I remember. I hope to visit there again someday. It was a difficult hike for me because it was my first hike and I didn’t have the right equipment. I borrowed my brother Dick’s pack because I didn’t have one. What a mistake. It wasn’t very good especially on the upper back. My feet hurt as well however the hiking was miserable and I had a terrible tent as well the view was beautiful; this hike was practice to get ready for my first fifty mile hike. Of course I asked my parents to get a pack of my own and a good tent too. I wasn’t go through something like that again especially for ten days and fifty miles. I don’t remember where we went on our fifty mile hikes other than they were all in the Olympic Mountains. The last one was special because I remember we ended the hike at the Pacific Ocean.

Another short hike I remember going to a couple times is Enchanted Valley. It is like the name implies and trail is just over seven miles. An easier hike I remember than lower Lena. It is located near Forks, Washington and there is a chalet that is located at Enchanted Valley. The first time visiting there our scout troop had to camp outside the chalet because another group were insider however we were lucky to stay at the chalet the second time. On the second trip though I remember us be encountered by a bear. It pretty much left us alone though the bear did chase our scout master up a tree. The only time I have seen a bear in the wild.

My brothers and I took a hike up to Hurricane Ridge which is about forty-five minutes outside of Port Angeles and another beautiful spot to spend a few days at; easy hike as well.

There are so many places to visit within the Olympic National Park and they are all so marvelous to see. You don’t necessarily have to go on a fifty mile hike there are plenty of day hikes.

Here in Washington State we are very blessed because we have the Cascade Mountains as well where you can hike whether for a day or a week or longer. Ever come to Seattle make a plan to see the Olympics or Cascades. A great way to spend a vacation for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment