Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Remembering Stories


I am amazed by some of my classmates who remember specific things in high school or earlier. I do remember a few important ones but the details some remember are quite fascinating.

I remember certain events but to get down to exact detail is extraordinary in my mind. It is like those who are in the sciences especially working with DNA. Some remember where they were at and what they were doing at the exact moment.

I do in one instance though I don’t think of it as far as they do. When I was in fourth grade we had a large earthquake, which my brother Jack researched three weeks ago when we were talking about it. The earthquake measured over 9.0 in Alaska where it was centered. Although it may have not been that high here it certainly was a big one. We had another large earthquake fifteen years ago but I don’t remember it quite so much.

On the earthquake back when I was in fourth grade Jack and I were on swings when it hit. The doors at our elementary were swinging back and forth for several seconds. Our dad had left us off at school like he did many times because it was on his way to work. I know we rode the bus to school on some occasions but Jack doesn’t remember doing so at all.

My teacher had arrived when the earthquake hit. We were having popcorn and candy sale at school that day so I ran to help her bring the stuff in. I am not sure what Jack did.

I am sure I could go on and on but I will leave it at that. I am sure everyone has stories about certain events happening in their lives but I know some of my classmates remember details of events that are more obscure. It is certainly stories to talk around the coffee table for sure, and quite impressive as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment